Scott H. James is a founding partner of Scanes, Routh & James, LLP. His legal practice is focused primarily on representing landowners in eminent domain/condemnation matters, real estate litigation, business litigation, and oil and gas law. Scott has handled and tried a wide variety of complex litigation matters on both sides of the docket. His deep expertise in land ownership, land management, and oil and gas law gives him a unique perspective on the dynamic nature of real estate litigation matters. Scott is known by his clients and other attorneys for his energy and tireless work ethic.
Represented numerous clients (individuals, families, and businesses) in condemnation matters, several involving land exceeding $1 million in value.
Represented individuals and businesses in numerous real estate litigation matters throughout the State of Texas.
Represented numerous clients in complex business litigation matters throughout the State of Texas.
Represented numerous individuals and families in negotiating and drafting oil, gas, and mineral leases.
Scott was born in Anchorage, Alaska, where his father served in the Air Force. His family moved back to Palestine, Texas, in 1976, where six generations of the James family have lived. Scott's East Texas roots have provided him with a deep appreciation for hard work, community, and the importance that land ownership plays for many families and businesses.
Scott's favorite activities include:
Spending time with his wife (Lee Ann), son (Jonah Samuel), and daughter (Ainsley);
Serving at Harris Creek Baptist Church and in Legacy Outfitters ministry;
Hunting and Fishing with family and friends;
Competing in marathons and triathlons;
Skiing and mountaineering; and
- Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas (J.D., 2002)
- Honors: magna cum laude, Highest Ranking Student in Commencement Class
- Baylor Law Review, Executive Editor, 2002
- University of Texas at Dallas, Dallas, Texas (M.B.A., 1999)
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Baylor University, Waco, Texas (B.A., 1998)
- State Bar of Texas, 2002
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Texas, 2004
Professional Activities and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas (2002 - present)
- Waco-McLennan County Bar Association (2002 - present)
- Waco-McLennan County Young Lawyers Association (2002 - present)
- Board of Directors (2006 - present)
- Director of Region 12/Central Texas High School Mock Trial
- Tournament (2007, 2008, and 2009)
Honors and Awards
- Highest ranking graduate in Baylor Law School Graduating Class – Fall 2002
- Texas Super Lawyer - Rising Star (Top 2% of young lawyers in Texas as selected by peers), Texas Monthly Magazine, 2007, 2008, and 2009
- McLennan County Young Lawyer of the Year (2008 - 2009)
- Key Note Speaker at Magnolia, Arkansas Landowner's Conference - "Litigating Terms and Values for Easements and Condemnation"
- Speaker at 6th Timberland Investment World Summit – New York City
Harris Creek Baptist Church, Waco, Texas
- Deacon, Adult Sunday School Leader, Life Group Leader
Legacy Outfitters, Inc.
- Legal Counsel to National Board of Directors (2003 - present)
- Leadership Team and Committee Member (2003 - present)